SEASONS IN THE SUN

"TAKING PASSION FOR SPORTS TO A WHOLE 'NOTHER LEVEL"

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Return of the Whale

Many people have asked me why do you like the Hartford Whalers?  Why would you join their cause?  You've never been to Hartford...why this? why now? why why why why why?

So this is my answer, have you ever read something and wanted to help someone out?  Have you ever felt that someone was wronged and you felt you needed to aid the effort?  This is how I felt when I first read about the Whalers, and how the team had been sold and then moved to Carolina.  The Whalers fans had raised about 11,000 season ticket holders for the 1997 season, but it would be for not.  The team was already gone, and the fans had to suffer.  I was frustrated that this kind of ownership is aloud to happen to people, I would not want any of my favorite teams to move.

Another reason I wanted to help the Hartford Whalers was that besides The Black Hawks they have the greatest logo in the NHL.  Also, how can you not love Pucky the Whale?  Has too be one of the greatest mascots in the NHL, so much better then the Detroit Red Wongs, child please.  Plus, they have the brass bonanza their official theme song.  There is not a better team song in the NHL today, that is more recognizable.

I have started a facebook group called "lets bring back the hartford whalers" right now it only has 15 members but hopefully I can get more.  I have signed internet petitions to the state of Connecticut for resources to build a new stadium.  This was one of the fundamental problems with the Hartford Civic Center, there are not enough luxury boxes.  I believe that if a new stadium is not built it will be very hard for Hartford to get the team back.  I also sent an email to the city of Hartford asking them if there was anything I could do to help bring back the team.  They probably thought I was crazy so they did not respond to my email.

People ask me whats the possibility of them coming back, I say that nothing is impossible.  Its a traditional hockey town with a solid fan base.  Also, they recently held a reunion on the 13th and 14th of August for former players and coaches.  They are holding a week long hockey event in February 2011, where hockey will be played outside for an entire week.  The week will be highlighted with a game of former players from the Whalers against former players from the Bruins.

The Hartford Whalers need to come back, the city of Hartford needs them back.  The NHL has spent too much time expanding to non-traditional hockey markets.  The NHL needs to get back to its roots, and Pucky will have his revenge on the NHL.

Sign the Petition at www.whalerwatch.com.  Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment